Pages

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones (THE BEST)

I am transferring all of the recipes from my soon to be defunct food blog to this blog!  Here's THE BEST one!
If I ever become famous for something I bake (which, who are we kidding, that’s never going to happen), it will be these Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones (barely adapted from my sister-in-law’s college roommate).
Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones // Becky's Happy Table
This is somewhat funny, because if scones were a person, I would have to apologize to him or her.
For the longest time, I assumed that scones were like biscotti.  And, I mean no offense to the biscotti, but I’m just not a fan.  A cookie that is hard and dry on purpose is just not my thing.
But, we were in Aaron’s hometown a few years ago, and I ran into a great little coffee shop.  Their drinks were less expensive than I was used to, so I impulse purchased a scone.
It was amazing, and I’ve never turned back.  I heart scones 4-evah ๐Ÿ˜‰
So, you can see why I owe scones an apology for judging them by their frenemy the biscotti.
Anyway, I’m going to show you some step by step photos to demystify the scone making process and give you my scone making secrets/tips.  You can feel free to scroll down to the end, though, if you want to just read the recipe.
First of all, you stir together your dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda) in a large bowl.
Then you are supposed to cut the butter into the dry ingredients.  I pretty much hate cutting butter into dry ingredients.  Regardless of how chilled my butter is, it always gets stuck in the pastry blender and it’s just a pain.
I solve this problem using my trusty grater.  <— Tip #1
Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones // Becky's Happy Table
I make sure that I’m using frozen butter.  It should be in the freezer for a minimum of an hour to be nice and solid.  Often times I’ll just leave a stick and a half of butter in the freezer to be ready for scones at any moment.  I make these scones so often that I have the recipe memorized…they’re Aaron’s favorite!
So, I grate/shred the butter…
Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones // Becky's Happy Tableand dump it into the dry ingredients.
Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones // Becky's Happy Table
I incorporate the butter into the dry ingredients with my fingers, being sure to break up any big clumps of butter.  It should end up looking a lot like this…
Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones // Becky's Happy Table
Add the chocolate chips and buttermilk.
Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones // Becky's Happy Table
I often have buttermilk on hand, but if you don’t, you can make your own!  <— Tip #2
Stir it all together.
Now, this is where you might need the pictures.  You see this dry patch?
Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones // Becky's Happy Table
You’re going to need a little bit more buttermilk.  <— Tip #3  I drizzle in about a tablespoon more and it’s just right.
Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones // Becky's Happy Table
I realize that’s not as definitive as we want recipes to be, but it’s just one of those things.
Turn your dough out onto a lightly floured surface,
Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones // Becky's Happy Table
and knead it 12 times, ending in a nice ball.
Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones // Becky's Happy Table
Cut the ball in half,
Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones // Becky's Happy Table
and press into 2 circles that are about half an inch thick.
Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones // Becky's Happy Table
Cut each circle into 6 triangular slices.
Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones // Becky's Happy Table
If you want to bake them right away, you can do so at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
Or you can be like me and freeze them.  I place them on a plastic wrap lined cookie sheet and freeze until solid.
Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones // Becky's Happy Table
After they are solid, I pop them into a freezer bag and then bake them as needed (at 400 degrees for 16-18 minutes).  <— Tip #4  Fresh scones are the best!
Be sure to sprinkle the scones with sugar before baking.  I use the chunky sugar, but regular sugar is totally fine.
Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones // Becky's Happy Table
ALWAYS use a silpat or parchment paper when baking scones.  <— Tip 5  This eliminates burned bottoms.  Ain’t nobody got time for burned bottoms ๐Ÿ˜‰
Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones
Author: 
Recipe type: Breakfast
Prep time:  
Cook time:  
Total time:  
Serves: 12
 
Truly the best scones you'll ever enjoy! And, yes, they do live up to the hype :)
Ingredients
  • 3 cups flour
  • ⅓ cup sugar
  • 2½ teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ¾ cup (which is 1 and ½ sticks) butter, frozen
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • additional sugar for sprinkling
Instructions
  1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
  2. Grate your frozen butter and add to the dry ingredients. (Alternately, you can can cut your butter into your dry ingredients...whatever floats your boat :) ) Use your fingers to incorporate the butter into the dry ingredients, resulting in pea sized or smaller clumps.
  3. Stir in the chocolate chips and buttermilk. Add up to a tablespoon of buttermilk if there are dry patches.
  4. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 12 times, ending up with a ball.
  5. Divide ball in half.
  6. Press each half into a circle about a half an inch thick.
  7. Cut each circle into 6 slices.
  8. Sprinkle each scone with sugar.
  9. To bake immediately, place 2 inches apart on a silpat or parchment paper lined cookie sheet at bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
  10. To bake later, place on a plastic wrap lined cookie sheet and freeze until solid. Place in a freezer bag until ready to use. Bake from frozen on a silpat or parchment paper lined cookie at 400 degrees for 16-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Don't forget to sprinkle with sugar before baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment