Pages

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Buttermilk Substitute

I am transferring all of the recipes from my soon to be defunct food blog to this blog!  Here's a good one!
I’m pretty sure that buttermilk is full of magic or the tears of unicorns or the sparkle of a shooting star, because it makes everything that much more amazing!
You can totally buy buttermilk at a regular grocery store (which I do quite often), but it is super, super easy to make your own.  Naturally, you can get all you need at Aldi :)
Ready for the most confusing use of arrows ever?
Buttermilk Substitute

Here’s what you do!
  • pour one tablespoon of vinegar…
  • into a 1 cup liquid measuring cup.
  • pour milk to the one cup line.
  • give it a stir.
  • let it sit for 5 minutes.
Ta-Da!  It’s buttermilk.
If you’re feeling crazy, you could even use lemon juice.
I usually just eyeball the 1 tablespoon of vinegar and always end up with a little more which is just fine.
Now, about The Best Muffins Ever.
I have clearly been living under an internet rock, because I only just discovered Sally’s Baking Addiction.  I googled “chocolate chip muffins” (for Muffin Monday, of course 😉 ) and her recipe was one of the first that came up.
I made them (following the directions for regular sized muffins) using the buttermilk substitute for the milk, and they were seriously, seriously amazing.
I tried one and, even though I was by myself, I said out loud, “These are the best muffins I have ever made.”  I gave some to a couple of friends, and they totally agreed.
If you’re looking for a quick baking project this weekend, THESE are the muffins you should make!
You can thank me later 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment