Pages

Friday, November 15, 2013

First Day of Snow Hot Chocolate

The First Day of Snow is a big deal at our house.

Aaron likes to shovel.  

I like it when seasons change.  I think I would have a really hard time if we lived in a dessert or some other place that had fairly consistent weather year round.

And the girls.  Well, the girls are little, so snow is AWESOME!

We had the First Day of Snow on Monday.  Leah said that all of the 2nd graders were "going wild."

I'm sure that was interesting :)

Leah had a dentist appointment right after school (props to Leah for being in the No Cavity Club), so we had our First Day of Snow treats after supper.

I had a tube of sugar cookie dough languishing in the fridge, so I sliced it up and baked some easy cookies!

I made a small batch of my mom's super easy butter cream frosting, frosted the cookies, and topped them with some fun snowflake sprinkles.


Then, I made the hot chocolate.  

With the First Day of Snow, the cookies are optional, but GOOD hot chocolate is a non-negotiable.

First Day of Snow Hot Chocolate

I make the hot chocolate recipe from the Hershey's unsweetened cocoa container.

You just need:
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Dash of salt
1/3 cup water
4 cups milk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Stir together the sugar, cocoa, and salt in a medium sauce pan.  Add the water.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until it comes to a boil.  Boil and stir for 2 minutes.  Continue stirring and add milk.  Heat to serving temperature.  Do not, I repeat, do not boil.  Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.  Pour into mugs.  Top with something delicious and enjoy!

Now, the whole topping with something delicious bit is optional, of course.  I had some whipping cream in the fridge, so I added a bit of powdered sugar and a tiny splash of vanilla and whipped it up for whipped cream.  I put a few dollops of that on the hot chocolate and added a decorative drizzle of chocolate syrup.

Pretty AND yummy...so delicious and rich.  Perfect for a special time like the First Day of Snow!


It's also perfect for any day ending in "y," because it doesn't take much to make everyday special!

No comments:

Post a Comment