Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Gender Reveal Party

Even though Gracie is only 3, I feel like the whole being pregnant landscape (maybe due to pinterest) is a little different.  Families have super cute pregnancy announcements!  And the gender reveal parties?!  So cute!

It almost makes me want to have another baby.  

Almost.  

Don't get your hopes up.  We are doner than done.

Anyway, our friends, Brandon and Hannah, are having a baby and when Hannah told me they were going to find out the baby's gender ahead of time, I immediately offered to host a gender reveal party for them!

So fun!

I looked around pinterest to see if there were any cute gender reveal cakes. I got my inspiration from this cake.

Hannah dropped of the envelope with the baby's gender written on a piece of paper!  Yay!

I started out by making a Wacky Cake.  

I let it cool and trimmed the edges.  

Then, I cut it in half the long way.  

I filled the inside with my mom's super easy butter cream frosting.

You need:

3 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons butter, softened
3 tablespoons shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla
milk (or cream) to desired consistency

Blend the first 3 ingredients together.  Add a splash of milk, vanilla, and food coloring.  Whip it with the mixer.  Add more milk until you get the desired consistency.

For chocolate frosting, add in 3 tablespoons of cocoa with the powdered sugar.

This recipe is really easy to divide into thirds or in half.  Super versatile! 

Anyway, I made the frosting for the inside of the cake...dyed the appropriate color, of course!  

I made white cream frosting for the outside of of the cake.

Then it was time for decorating!  

I practiced on a white dinner plate.


While I decorated, Leah combined blue and pink plates, cups, and napkins.


When she was done with that, she and Gracie had a snack of apples and leftover chocolate milk...


on the floor in the kitchen where I was working, of course!

I was slightly obsessed with how well the cake turned out!

Gender Reveal Cake

It was pretty easy!  I mean, I'm going to be putting flowering branches on any cake possible!

I cut the above frosting recipe into thirds and made 1 chocolate, 1 blue, and 1 pink.

I used 3 tips:


The number 3 tip was for the writing and branches.

The number 16 tip was for the little flowers.

The number 21 tip was for the flower-y dot things edging the bottom.

Let's look at the cake again, shall we?!

Gender Reveal Cake

I feel like you can kind of tell how I did it once you see the tips.

Once I was done with the decorating, I let Leah have a try!


She did awesome!


I told her that I'd let her decorate a cake some time soon.  I love how she likes to try creative things!

And, I'd say she's quite good at it!

After supper, I set the table up for the simple party...

Gender Reveal Party and Cake

and added my Fuzzy Navel Mocktail and cups.

Fuzzy Navel Mocktail

Everyone loves the fuzzy navel mocktail.  Seriously.

Oh, I made popcorn on the stove (buttered, of course) for a salty snack.  I'm all about the sweet and salty balance!

Anyway...

Brandon and Hannah and the rest of the guests arrived, and they cut the cake!


Yay!!!


You can never have too many baby girls!  I'm so excited for them and can't wait to meet their sweet daughter in February!

Congratulations, Brandon and Hannah!

No comments:

Post a Comment