Pages

Monday, November 25, 2013

Kickin' it Old School: Thanksgiving Service

Ahhhh...

We just got back from our community Thanksgiving service, and it's pretty much one of my favorite things!

I grew up going to a fairly conservative Bible church until I was 12 years old.

I'm talking pews, organ, hymnals...PLUS the music leader waving his arms up in front to keep everyone together.

The Thanksgiving service brings me right back to all the good things (and none of the less than good things).

Some years there has been a men's quartet.  Other years, there's been open sharing.

There's always hymn singing!

The church we were at tonight even had the same hymnals as the ones I grew up with.


Apparently it's not just any old hymnal...it's THE hymnal.

Anyway, I got to teach Leah how to use a hymnal which was kind of funny...she's not a fan :)

We all sang together, and it sounded like a choir.

We read Scripture and prayed.

There was even the whole randomly-pray-a-sentence-out-loud part and people happily participated.  

We had a pie social at the end (I made this), too!

There's just something about coming in out of the cold, dark evening into a bright, warm church that makes me happy.  

Just like there's something about hymns, the KJV, men in suits, watching my husband and our friend be the edgy youth group guys during singing, and talking to Leah about how she wanted to pray a sentence about being thankful for Jesus dying on the cross that makes me feel like a carefree 9 year old again.

Maybe that's weird, but I'm OK with it :)

And even though I wouldn't want to live old school, I'm always really, really happy to visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment