Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Lemon Sugar Cookies with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting

One of the nice things about me is that I do not discriminate against sweets.  

I know.  I'm very accepting :)

I love chocolate, cheesecake, strawberries, peanut butter, ice cream...oh, ice cream!

But, I do have a special spot in my heart for lemon.  I love it in savory dishes and in sweets.  

Say it with me...versatility!

We had friends over awhile ago and I made Broiled Parmesan and Lemon Chicken with Baked Lemon Pasta.  So yummy!  I thought about making Lemon Buttermilk Sheet Cake for dessert, but our friends ended up bringing something else delicious.

So, yes, I love lemon, which made this month's pinterest recipe an easy choice.

Behold, I bring to you...



You don't need any weird ingredients, always a plus!



For the cookies, you need:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 egg yolk (this was my addition; I wanted to be sure the cookie was soft)
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 and 1/2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

In a small bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, and sugar.  Add vanilla, egg, egg yolk, and lemon zest.  Mix together until fluffy.  Add dry ingredients and mix until combine.  Add milk and lemon juice, and stir until completely incorporated.

I chilled the dough in the refrigerator for 30-45 minutes, because it seemed a little soft to me.

Roll the dough into tablespoon-sized balls, and place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper or a silpat.  

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are very lightly browned.

I had a bit of help from my little zesty zesters.





Do you like Gracie's cool girl braid?  We've been all about the little cool braid these days at my house.  I should try one so I can be the cool mom.

Just so you know, I only needed 2 lemons for the zest and the juice.



Once your cookies have cooled, you can make your frosting. 

You need:
1/4 cup butter, softened
4 oz cream cheese (I used the 1/3 less fat kind, thus making this healthy)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2ish cups of powdered sugar
pinch of salt
fresh lemon juice

Beat butter and cream cheese until smooth and well mixed.  Add vanilla.  Add powdered sugar and salt.  Mix in fresh lemon juice until it gets to the spreadable consistency you want.

Feel free to swipe your finger in the frosting for a little taste!



Get your cookies...



and frost them!

I sprinkled a little Sugar in the Raw on top to give it a little bit of texture, and because it looks like that's what Lulu the Baker did in her recipe.



I feel like Sugar in the Raw sounds a little dangerous, but it's not.  It's really not...I assure you, totally family friendly.

Soft deliciousness right here!



I will absolutely make these again!  I also might make just the cookie, but stir in some white chocolate chips instead of using the frosting.

In case you are looking for some strawberry recipes, I posted Strawberry Bruschetta and Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake earlier this week.  Plus, I posted my menu for May yesterday, in case you're looking for some new meal ideas!

Have a happy day...and make some cookies :)

Recipe Source: Lulu the Baker

Linking up with:



No comments:

Post a Comment