Pages

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars and The Sound of Music Thoughts

I like chocolate chip cookies as much as the next person...which is a lot, I'm guessing!

But, then there's the whole actually making the cookies.

I feel like I'm babysitting.  Bake it for 9-11 minutes.  Check.  Maybe bake some more.  Load up the cookie sheet again.  

Sheesh.

Obviously, it's not that big of a deal, but if I can simplify the process, all the better!

I thought about pressing my favorite chocolate chip cookie dough into a 9x13 inch pan and calling it good.

I figured that I should at least check around a little bit online to see if I could find a real recipe.

The first place I checked had just what I was looking for!

Mel's recipe and my favorite recipe are both adaptations from Cook's Illustrated.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

You only need basic ingredients.


Cute drumming Gracie optional :)


2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (that's 1 and 1/2 sticks) butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 cups (which is 1 bag) semisweet chocolate chips

Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.  Set aside.

In a large bowl (or bowl of a Kitchen Aid mixer), cream together the butter and sugars.  Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla.  Mix well.  

Stir in the flour mixture until just barely combined.  Then stir in the chocolate chips.

Press into a 9x13 inch pan that you've sprayed with nonstick spray.  

Bake at 325 degrees for 24-28 minutes or until the top is lightly browned, slightly firm to the touch, and the edges start to pull away from the sides.


Learn from me and let it cool before you slice it :)

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

So what do these awesome chocolate chip cookie bars have to do with The Sound of Music?

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

Um, nothing really, except that I made these the day that The Sound of Music was on TV.

I was nerd-tastic-ly excited about The Sound of Music!


I lined the girls up on the couch with hot chocolate and popcorn


and we watched together (with our friend, Karina, and then Aaron, Andy, and Steph joined us at the end).


We all enjoyed it!


I almost think it's unfair to compare it to the original movie.  

Almost apples and oranges, really!

I mean, there's just no way that a stage production can compare to the movie which is actually filmed in Salzburg and Upper Austria.  

Carrie Underwood had a rough start with the acting in the beginning (and kind of throughout), but I think she did well vocally.

It's really hard to take on a role as iconic as Maria in The Sound of Music.  When she would sing, I'd find myself thinking, "She didn't sound like Julie Andrews."

Duh.  Obviously she didn't sound like Julie Andrews because she's Carrie Underwood, and I bet she would have been criticized for trying to imitate Julie Andrews if she sounded like her.

There was the slight buzzing when everyone spoke and what seemed like a missed line towards the end.

All of that being said, I really enjoyed it!  

I loved introducing the girls to an awesome musical!  I liked that the end was less scary than the movie, so when we get a DVD of the show they can watch the end without being freaked out.

The girls have never seen the movie, so they had nothing to compare it to.

And they loved it!

They loved seeing the kids and figuring out which kid was their age.  

They loved the singing and the dancing.

They also loved hot chocolate, popcorn, and getting to stay up until a little after 8:30.

I did have to attempt explaining Hitler and Nazis to Leah.

That was...interesting?

If you watched it, what did you think?

Oh, and you should make the chocolate chip cookie bars :)

No comments:

Post a Comment