Pages

Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Christmas Tree Debacle

Mmmmmm...

A real Christmas tree.

The smell can't be beat.  

But, you know what can be beat?

A Christmas tree that falls down.

Yeah, we had one of those, and it quickly converted me to getting a faux tree.

I think faux sounds much more fancy than fake or artificial.

Plus, it's French.

Joyeux Noel to us all.

(5 years of French just paid off :))

Anyway, we got our tree at Menards, like we always do.  This isn't a tradition...it's purely for the sake of convenience.

We lugged it inside, and as Aaron was getting it situated, I gave the girls their Christmas dresses.  

The time came for me to hold the tree up so it was straight and Aaron turned the screws in the tree stand.

Technically that would work.

Except for the part where it didn't.


So, we cut off the bottom few inches of the trunk to get to some fresh wood that would hopefully be more stable.


Yeah, that didn't work as much.

It was literally falling over...leaning against the window like it was drunk or really dizzy.


I feel like I should mention that I don't have these unrealistic expectations for Christmas trees.  They certainly don't have to be perfect.  I pretty much just want the branches to hold ornaments and not fall on my head.  Or on my children.

I'm also a supporter of the wonky Charlie Brown-esque Christmas tree.  But, even those don't, you know, crash.

Anyway.

The girls didn't really know what to think.


Maggie appears to be running away from it...


...but she really just thought it was hilarious to try to not let me take her picture.

Leah, on the other hand, became very attached to the tree.


Apparently it only took approximately 15 minutes for the tree to become "very special to me."  And, "it's my friend."

At first Aaron and I thought she was kidding.  Because, really, it was in our living room for a really short amount of time.  We didn't even decorate it.  

We were making jokes and stuff...I probably mentioned lighting it on fire, because that's kind of a go-to over the top, silly comment that I make.

Let's just say that didn't go over real well with the 7 year old contingency in our house.

Then we told her that we were going to get an artificial tree that we could use year after year, so it really would be like a friend that you see every year at Christmas.

Side note: sometimes I can't believe they things that come out of my mouth.  I really never thought I would be referring to Christmas trees as friends.

By the time the debacle was over, it was time for bed and time to put the Christmas tree outside.  

We went to Menards the next morning and got our faux tree and decorated it with the girls!

Gracie got to be the star put-er on-er!


I made that star out of paper plates when we first moved in to our house.  I think we'll probably use it forever :)

Oh, and here's a tip that a friend told me today!  After you put up your tree, you can store the gifts in the Christmas tree box.  Apparently kids who snoop around for their gifts never think to look there!

And, in case you were wondering, if you get a bad tree from Menards, you can totally take it back.

Gracie and I did!


I'm not going to lie...I felt kind of awesome dragging a tree back into Mendards!


Clearly, Gracie did, too!

Now doesn't this look nice?!


It was Aaron's idea to get the bigger, colored lights, and I'm totally a fan!  It's a little different and retro cool.  Super fun!

Have a great Thursday!  

No comments:

Post a Comment