Pages

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Thanksgiving Weekend

For as long as I can remember, my family has gone to a hotel and done Christmas shopping Thanksgiving weekend.

It's a super fun tradition that I've looked forward to for a long time, and now it's something that our girls anticipate all.year.long!

The weird (or quirky if you will :)) thing about this weekend, is that the last 3 years, something bad has happened.

I'm happy to report that the streak has ended!

I mean, the less broken legs the better, right?

Right!

We didn't have to leave until after lunch on Friday, and it was so nice not being rushed!

The girls had time to just do the usual...



while I packed without being in a frenzy!

We got to the hotel a little after 3:00 and as soon as we got settled in, the kids and the dads hopped in the pool, while the ladies visited on the side.

Another long standing tradition is seeing a movie on Friday night.  My parents watch the kids while my brother, sister-in-law, sister, Aaron, and I go see a movie.

This year we saw Captain Phillips.



Aaron and I hadn't seen any commercials for the movie (and, seeing as I pretty much live under a rock, I didn't follow the real story in the news), so we didn't know what to expect.

We got to the theater shortly before the movie started, so there were only seats up front.

I had to go to the bathroom during the movie and totally thought I was going to be sick.  I didn't really attribute it to the movie, I figured I was getting sick because something always happens during this weekend.

There was another woman standing by the door to the theater.  And, because I am me, I started talking to her.  I asked if she was watching Captain Phillips.  She said she was, but that she had to walk out because she was sitting in front and was getting motion sickness from the filming style.

A-HA!

Mystery solved!  

I wasn't getting sick, I was just feeling sick because the movie took place at sea and was filmed in bumpy documentary style.

Crisis averted!

We all enjoyed the movie, although I think I would have enjoyed it more at home and not on the seasickness inducing big screen!

Saturday was filled with fun shopping and hotel hanging out!

The girls love standing on the catwalk looking down over 



the lobby!




We went out for pizza



and came back to hang out in the lobby while the kids did crafts



and we drank fun drinks like this.



The V8 v-fusion sparkling tangerine raspberry is insanely awesome!

Leah and Maggie slept well on Saturday night!



Gracie was kind of another story. 

She decided that she was pretty much done with her pack and play.  

Gracie is little for her age and the pack and play we brought with is bigger than the average pack and play.  Technically she fits, but I think she feels too grown up for it.

Gracie and I whispered and made up songs and gave each other hugs until I had developed enough relational currency to have her be happy to lay down.

She went to bed late and was up early!  I couldn't sleep either, so I took her down to the lobby/breakfast area.



We hung out for quite a while.  

And, you know the TVs in common areas in hotels?  I swear they're always on news or sports.  

Not this one!

We were there first so it was on PBS kids :)

I never realized that the TV station was pretty much a first come first serve thing.

We were certainly first come :)

Gracie ate some Froot Loops



which was special, because I don't buy them.

The icing on Gracie's cake on Sunday was that she and Charity had matching shirts!



My mom gave them to each of them for their birthdays last year, and Laurie and I just happened to pack them!

Charity and Gracie (I think it's funny/cute that they have virtue names :)) are only 4 months apart (Charity is older)!  You'd never guess to look at them.  Charity is tall for her age, and Gracie is a little peanut!

Maggie and Charity came to the hotel in matching shirts (not from Nana) on Friday, but I didn't get a picture of that.

We had such a fun weekend, and, as always, it went by way too quickly!

The ride home was pretty good, too.  Long drives are always hit or miss for us.

The ride was made even BETTER when one of the girls had to go to the bathroom.  Aaron had the genius idea to stop at a Caribou Coffee Shop!  We always forget that there's one about half way between our house and my parents' house.

I like a red Starbucks cup as much as the next girl, but the cheerful aqua Caribou winter cup simply just can't be beat!



Gracie was pretty tired on the way home...she could barely eat her Jimmy John's :)



We made it home without any overwrought crying, so it was a successful drive in my book!

Thanks for a great weekend, Mom and Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment