Pages

Monday, April 15, 2013

Reclaiming En Gedi

OK...I'm about to show you some really messy pictures of our bedroom.

Please don't judge me :)

There is a reason to allow you a glimpse into the messiness that is me.

When Aaron and I got married, he literally vowed to "serve the crap out of me."

And he has...he really, really has!  

This is largely done by doing 95% of the dishes and picking up after me.  Not to mention he washes and dries much of the laundry.

Wait, what do I do around here?  Oh yeah, I take care of the girls, cook, grocery shop, pay bills, and clean the bathroom.  And make witty comments...duh.

Part of my problem with tidiness is that I am slightly ADD.

For example, the other morning I was making Leah's lunch, stopped, went and put toothpaste on toothbrushes,  went back to the sandwich, stopped again before I finished said sandwich, went to look for my shoes, went back to the sandwich, decided I wanted a drink of water, and went to look for my Nalgene.  

All of the sudden, it was almost time for Leah to leave for school, and her lunch wasn't done.  But, hey, at least I knew where my shoes were and wasn't thirsty any more.

That's kind of the story of my life when it comes to picking up.

Anyway, back to that reason...in a round about sort of way :)

A few years ago, we were driving across the U.P. of Michigan.  I'm pretty sure that the U.P. came about as a result of the fall of man, because I'm pretty sure God didn't want it there, and it's a result of sin entering the world.

Now, I know lots of people like the U.P., but to them I say this:  Try driving across the whole freaking thing at once with 2 young children.  Then let's see how much you like it.

Let's see how much you like it when a creepy man charges you to let your 3 year old pee in his creepy store's creepy bathroom.

I digress.

One of the times we were driving across the U.P., we listened to Marky Mark Driscoll's series The Peasant Princess.

One of the things he mentioned is En Gedi: a place of rest, refreshment, rejuvenation.  The idea I took away (and also was rementioned in this blog post) was to help our bedroom be a place of rest, refreshment, rejuvenation.

As you can see, there's not a whole lot of En Gedi going on in here:


The girls leave stuff in our room all the time and I pile things to do on my dresser constantly.  Then, because I'm kind of a spaz, I never get to taking care of it.


I need to unpack the stuff we used this weekend when we took a super quick trip to my parents' house.


Aaron makes the bed most of the time, but then it usually gets unmade during the day when Maggie and I read books before her nap.


The Abyss is by my side of the bed where I pile stuff.  You, too, can have your very own Abyss, I'm sure.

I'd like you to note the cribbage trophy above.  I have been undefeated in the last 3 cribbage tournaments I've played in.  BOOM!

Anyway, I'm posting about this to hold myself accountable.  I'm going to make our room all En Gedi.  I'm going to put things away, take off the flannel sheets, and maybe even vacuum.

I know.

I'm doing this because I love Aaron...not because I-am-the-wife-so-this-is-my-job.  I know that I feel stressed being in a messy room, so he must, too.  

Because, as charming as an abyss is, it's even nicer not to step on stuff.

I'll update you on En Gedi next week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment