Pages

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Miss Felicia's Potato Casserole

Sometimes I wish I was Southern.

You know, when I watch a movie set down South (because that's so very realistic ;)), or drink sweet tea, or make a recipe by Paula Deen, or hang out with our friends, Jeff and Felicia.

We went over to Jeff and Felicia's house for supper last week, and it was wonderful!  They are so fun and easy to be around.  

Felicia is the quintessential Southern hostess.  She's so warm, and chatty, and welcoming.  I suppose there's nothing exclusively southern about that, but when you have that little southern twang, everything sounds just that much warmer and more lovely.

It was also one of those evenings that the girls were almost perfectly behaved!  I'm sure it helped that Jeff and Felicia had a bin of toys from when their daughters were little.  There's nothing quite like fresh toys to keep a kid happy!

Felicia made a delicious supper which included this delicious potato casserole.




Now, I know we've all had potato casserole before, but I really think you should make this one!  It's not quite as heavy as the one I usually make (which is also incredibly delicious).

I'm not saying this is health food by any means, but there's a little bit less of the high calorie ingredients that make it oh so good.

And it's still oh.so.good!



You need:
1 bag frozen hash browns
1 can cream of chicken soup (I bet you could use cream of mushroom soup, too)
3/4 cup sour cream (I used light)
1 cup milk
1 and 1/2 cups of shredded cheese

In a small bowl, mix the soup, sour cream, and milk.  Open the bag of frozen hash browns and put them in a large bowl.  Pour the soup mixture on top of the potatoes.  Add about 1 and 1/2 cups of shredded cheese, salt and pepper to taste, and stir well to combine.

Pour into a greased 9x13 inch dish and bake at 375 degrees for 45-55 minutes or until brown and bubbly.  You can even add come cooked and crumbled bacon for an extra tasty punch!

I served it with some Barbecued Chicken (Aaron made it and it was perfect) and grilled veggies.  The rest of my people had carrots instead of the grilled veggies :)  We had watermelon agua fresca to drink.  (I'd been looking for something to do with the watermelon I had, seeing as Leah has decided she's not that into watermelon right now and Maggie won't touch it).



Be sure to scoop out the crunchy bits on the side.  It's the best part!

You need to know that everyone in my family ate this meal which naturally resulted in some yes, Yes, YES-ing on my part.  Maggie even asked for seconds on chicken which is unheard of around here! 

Aaron isn't a leftovers guy, but he had the potato casserole and chicken for lunch the next day!

You know what that means:  you have to make this.

And y'all should probably serve it with some sweet tea...

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment