Pages

Friday, February 8, 2013

A Running Diary

Aaron reads this sports writer, Bill Simmons, fairly often.  Sometimes Bill Simmons does a running diary of watching March Madness or the draft or something sporty.

Seeing as I keep a record of what time my potty trainer pees, I thought I would give you a little running diary of the events.

I suppose "running diary" is more literal in this case, as I did a lot of running.

9:00  I am feeling super optimistic, extremely positive, and full of happy energy!  What a great way to start the day of potty training!  We can do this!  Yeah!  Potty!  Potty!  Potty!



9:20  Gracie gets her first pair of panties on.  Dora, of course.  Ain't nobody got time for the plain ones.

9:21  Gracie gets her first of many Elmo juice boxes.  



9:25  "I have to poop!" she cries.  We dash to the bathroom.  "I can do it!" she tells me, as she takes forever to pull down her panties and sit on the potty chair.

"I can do it!" is the anthem of 2 year olds, I'm pretty sure.

But, alas, it is a false alarm.  But, no problem, practice is a good thing, right?  Right!



9:37  Yet another false alarm, but, because she can pull up her own panties, she experiences her first wedgie.  She is not.a.fan.

Gracie has 4 more false alarms.  We've also had several clean and dry checks where she (and Maggie) got 2 smarties for having clean and dry panties.  I'm thankful for the practice she is giving herself for sitting there.



10:41  Accident during a rousing game of Candy Land.  I'm glad she finally went and don't really mind that it's an accident, so that she can learn what it feels like to go potty.



10:52  Accident while we are picking up Candy Land.  "I go poop again!" she cried.  We dash to the bathroom.

11:02  Accident while we are doing puzzles (not while sitting on my lap, thankfully).  



So, 3 accidents in 21 minutes.  I remember when I was potty training Leah, she had back to back accidents, and my mom said that really fast back to back accidents are the same pee experience, if that makes sense.  

My mom didn't say "pee experience," that's the best way I could think of to say it :)  

Basically, they start having an accident, but stop themselves while you clean them up, and then they finish the accident when you're done.

I'm not sure if that was the case there, because she sat on the potty chair after each time.  

11:26  She told me she had to go potty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  There were smarties, dancing, jumping up and down, and other celebratory behaviors!!!!!!!!!  Whee!!!!

12:35  Potty success!!!  We were clearing the table after lunch and she started looking anxious, so I put her on the potty.  Perhaps I was being trained here, but we'll take success in any way, shape or form.  Let the happy dance commence!!!!

12:50-3:20  Beautiful, glorious, peaceful nap time.  I put Gracie in a pull up, because I believe in uninterrupted sleep.  She woke up with a wet pull up.

Every 20 or 30 minutes or so, she'd sit on the potty chair.

5:00 and 5:10  "Potty!" she cried.  I'm making dinner, of course, and we run to the bathroom for false alarms.  There is a tiny drip in her panties, but nothing big enough to consider an accident.

She sits on the potty chair for about 5 minutes each time.  We take little videos on the camera and then watch them to pass the time.  Let me tell you, that is magical for all of my girls, potty training or otherwise!

5:34  We're just getting supper on the table when there is an accident.  

I'm not going to lie, it was demoralizing for me.  She'd been sitting on the potty pretty much more often than not after 5:00 and there was an accident.  Plus, I physically just ached from sitting on the bathroom floor so much and being up and down and up and down and up and down.  

Aaron leaves for a meeting and I feel like I'm being left alone in a den of lions.  

Yes, that's an overstatement.

The girls and I are playing cards in the living room.  I finally let Gracie in the living room earlier in the day as long as she is sitting on a towel :)  

6:52  Gracie toots and heads to the area that she prefers for pooping.  I sweep her up and we run to the bathroom.  She pees in the potty chair!!!!!!!!!!!!  Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!!  Dancing and smarties and celebration, oh my!  My morale is significantly boosted.

The day ended on a good note, so I'm very thankful, although spent.  

I'm grateful that, in the words of my little fictional buddy, Anne of Green Gables, "Tomorrow is a brand new day, fresh, with no mistakes in it."  

Or potty accidents, Anne.

I'm even more grateful that...

Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not.  They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness!
Lamentations 3:22-23

I'm so thankful that God cares about little things in life, like potty training a 2 year old, simply because He cares about me.

I'm going to live and walk in that today!

Onward and upward into potty training success!

This kind of explains my plan and approach :)



No comments:

Post a Comment