Pages

Thursday, August 29, 2013

4 Balanced After School Snacks!

Leah is starving...starving, starving, starving when she gets home from school! 

I really like being able to give her a snack that is balanced with protein, carbs, and fiber.  That can be easier said than done!

But, I think I did it!

Plus, she liked all of them, too, which is a win in my book!



First up:  Apple Nachos!


All you do is slice an apple and arrange it however you want on a plate.

Melt about a tablespoon of peanut butter in the microwave until it is pourable.

Drizzle the peanut butter on the apple slices.

You can also drizzle some caramel ice cream topping on top if you feel so inclined.

Sprinkle the top with mini chocolate chips (about 2 teaspoons) and/or chopped peanuts.

You know how people always say apples and peanut butter are such a good snack, but then when you try to dip the apples in the peanut butter, the peanut butter slides right off of the apple slice?  That doesn't happen with apple nachos!  I think they're my favorite of these snacks.

Next we have Popcorn and Peanuts!


Make some popcorn!  I like to pop the popcorn on the stove top using canola oil or coconut oil.  You can use microwave popcorn if you want to! 

Whatever floats your boat :)

I like to partner peanuts with the popcorn so the snack has some staying power.

Number 3 is Greek Yogurt with Frozen Raspberries and Cereal.


Put about 6 ounces of vanilla Greek yogurt in a bowl.  You can use any flavor of yogurt, of course!

Top with frozen raspberries and cereal.

I used crushed Cracklin' Oat Bran this time, but Kashi Crunch (even the Aldi version) is great, too!

And, last but not least, Whole Wheat Mini Bagels with Cream Cheese and Berries.


Slice the mini bagel, smear with cream cheese, and top with berries!  I wanted to use strawberries, but they didn't look good.  The blueberries were great pinch hitters :)

Aldi carries whole wheat mini bagels, and I was very impressed by how soft they were.

The added bonus to this snack is that Leah can make it by herself!

What is your go-to after school snack?

In case you missed the other posts in the Back to School Series, check them out:
Why I'm Happy to Send Our Daughters to Our Public School
How to Develop a Good Relationship with Your Child's Teacher
The FOUR Letter Word: On Lice Prevention

I'm linking up with Abbie on Five Days Five Ways

No comments:

Post a Comment