Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Vapo Rub Problem: Solved

This little cutie has had a bit of a cough.


And, like most human beings, my girls don't like getting vapo rub on their chests.

I was putting it on the bottom of their feet, because several people told me that worked even better.  Plus, I read on some random blog that when people stand on cloves of garlic with bare feet they taste the garlic right away.  That supposedly explains why it works so well to put vapo rub on a person's feet.

I mentioned this to our doctor, and while he didn't laugh out loud at me, he said there's no medical reason for it to work.  Plus, the reason vapo rub is put on the chest to begin with is because you can breathe it in that way.

A little light bulb went off in my noggin.  I actually thought of an idea by myself!!!  Usually I get my ideas from pinterest or another person, but not this time.  I mean, let's not kid ourselves here,  I'm sure someone else has thought of this, but I've never seen it before.

Why not put vapo rub on a cloth and put the cloth by your face?  I did that with the big girls a couple of times and it worked really well.

Then, I kicked it up a notch with this idea.  Put the cloth in the pillow case!

You need a pillow in a pillow case, vapo rup (or Wal rub in my case), and a thick cloth (I used an old burp cloth).


Let me apologize now for the yellow-ness of some of these pictures.  I took them at night and the lighting was not at it's best.

Get a good sized glob of vapo rub on your finger and smear it on the bottom half of the cloth.


You might want to add another glob and spread it around a bit.


This is probably a 3 or 4 inch square-ish.

Fold the cloth in half to keep the vapo rub from getting on anything else and place it in the pillow case.


Then, your little cutie can breathe in the vapo rub without getting all messy.

I'm sure it's not quite as effective as putting it on your chest, but it certainly gets the job done!

All the benefit without the mess!

Give it a shot the next time someone in your house is sick!

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your apology for the yellowness. I admit, I was like "Well this seems like a pretty decent idea, but these photos! I just don't know if I can go on..." but then, you apologized. :-) You're so funny. However, I totally will do this next time I'M sick! :-)
    For real bad congestion and a quick fix, I put some of the rub on their chest before I throw them in a warm shower or bath. Steam is our friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I'll have to try it with steam, too!

      Delete