Pages

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Dulce de Leche in the Slow Cooker

I am transferring all of the recipes from my soon to be defunct food blog to this blog!  Here's a good one!

Today, I bring you what is arguably the BEST use for sweetened condensed milk!
Dulce de Leche!
Dulce de Leche in the Slow Cooker // Becky's Happy Table
Here’s what you do!
Pour 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk into a glass dish that easily fits into your slow cooker.
Put the glass in the slow cooker and pour water into the slow cooker until it reaches half way up the side of your dish.
arrow
Cover the dish with aluminum foil or if you are using a glass casserole dish and it has a glass cover, use that.
Put the cover on your slow cooker and set it to low for about 5 hours.  I would check at 3 hours, because all slow cookers are different.
Additionally, the top to my slow cooker doesn’t fit very tightly, so I put foil over it before I put the top on.
This is the color you’re looking for:
doneOnce it has turned this color, give it a stir.
stir
It’s kind of hard to tell from the above picture, but sometimes the DDL (what all the cool people call duce de leche 😉 ) is a little…chunky.  Just keep stirring it and it will smooth out.
Here’s where I’m guessing I differ from DDL purists.  I stir in 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons of vanilla and 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of salt.  I feel like it really rounds out the flavor.
You can totally dip apples in it…
apples
or make it into quite possibly the best pie ever!
ddl pie complete
Salted Caramel Pie is a true winner!
I feel like it’s worth noting, too, that dulce de leche is the stickiest food in the world :)
What would you do with DDL?

No comments:

Post a Comment