Pages

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Simple Salsa

I am transferring all of the recipes from my soon to be defunct food blog to this blog!  Here's a good one!
My Aldi inexplicably has jalapenos and cilantro.  This made my little foodie heart very happy:)  When I would shop at Aldi, I’d think to myself, “If only they had cilantro…” and lo and behold, they do now!  I’m not sure how long this will last, but I’ll take it for as long as I can!
Now that I’ve waxed eloquent about cilantro, you don’t need it for this recipe, but you doneed a jalapeno.
I’ve been making my own salsa for awhile now, and I always like trying new ones!  I don’t love big chunks in a typical tomato salsa and making my own really lets me control that.
food processor
This recipe is adapted from a Copycat Chili’s Salsa recipe from Lil Luna.  I couldn’t resist adding some lime and giving it my own twist.  I’ve only had Chili’s salsa once or twice, so I don’t know how close it is any more.  I do love the clean, simplicity of it!
Simple Salsa // Becky's Happy Table
Simple Salsa
Author: 
Prep time:  
Total time:  
 
After you make your own salsa, you'll never want to go back! Always be sure to taste your salsa on a chip and add what you think it needs. I usually end up adding a bit more salt, garlic, cumin, and/or lime.
Ingredients
  • 1 10 ounce can of tomatoes and green chilis (like rotel, but I call the generic brand faux-tel :)), drained
  • 1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes, undrained
  • ½ jalapeno, diced (I remove the ribs and seeds to cut down on the heat)
  • ½ teaspoon onion powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • ½ teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
  • juice of one lime
Instructions
  1. Put all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse or blend until it's combined to your preferred consistency.
  2. Taste to see if it needs anything else. I always taste my salsa on a chip not a spoon. Seeing as we eat salsa with chips, tasting it on a chip helps you get an accurate gauge on how salty it is. If you over-salt your salsa, it will be extra extra salty on a chip. I've had over-salted salsa, and you don't want to go there!

No comments:

Post a Comment