Pages

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Shrimp Scampi

I am transferring all of the recipes from my soon to be defunct food blog to this blog!  Here's a good one!
I remember being little and eating popcorn shrimp.  I thought it was one of life’s finest and fanciest delicacies.
I mean, really, there’s just something inherently fancy about shrimp!
Now, though, I’d way rather have shrimp not deep fried in breading.
Shrimp scampi is totally the way to go!  Not only is it delicious and slightly fancy, but once the shrimp is thawed, peeled, and deveined, it cooks up quickly!
And, you can get everything you need at Aldi!
Shrimp Scampi // Becky's Happy Table
Shrimp Scampi
Author: 
Recipe type: Entree
Prep time:  
Cook time:  
Total time:  
Serves: 6
 
It's quick! It's delicious! It's even a little fancy! What more could you want? :)
Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 12 ounce bags of extra large shrimp, thawed, peeled, deveined
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Parmesan (freshly grated or the kind that comes in the shaker)
Instructions
  1. Thaw the shrimp by taking it out of the freezer and leaving it in the fridge for about 8 hours. I literally never remember to do this! I end up putting the shrimp in a colander and running cold water over it until it is thawed.
  2. Peel the shrimp and make sure that it is thoroughly deveined. Sometimes I feel like the shrimp deveining community could be a bit more thorough ;)
  3. Heat the olive oil and butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until the butter is melted.
  4. Add the minced garlic, and cook for 30-60 seconds.
  5. Don't let the garlic burned, because nobody likes burned garlic. Nobody.
  6. Add the shrimp and cook for 2-3 minutes. Flip the shrimp and cook for a few more minutes or until cooked through. Shrimp cooks a lot faster than you might think, so be sure not overcook it or it will be rubbery. Shrimp that is well cooked will be white (or pink) and not translucent, and it will have formed a "C" for "cooked!" How friendly of it :)
  7. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  8. I suppose the parmesan is technically optional, but I say you should always go for some parmesan on top!
  9. Serve on your favorite cut of pasta or even rice. Enjoy!

I served this with some simple green beans and grilled bread.  So delicious!
I hope this makes everyone at your table happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment