Pages

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Pizza with Brown Sugared Bacon and Caramelized Onion

I am transferring all of the recipes from my soon to be defunct food blog to this blog!  Here's a good one!
Friday nights are pizza night at our house.  It is one meal I can be sure that everyone will love which makes me love it even more :)
I actually enjoy entertaining with pizzas, too!  It might sound like a lot of work, but I make the crusts ahead of time and prepare the toppings in advance, so it’s really not so bad.  Plus, there are usually friends who want to help, and it’s good having definable tasks for them!
I usually make this pizza dough and follow the tutorial about preheating a pizza stone or upside down cookie sheet.  I used to use a pizza stone, but then I broke it.  But, an upside down cookie sheet gets the job done!  This is a great recipe for an all whole wheat pizza crust.  I think it has great flavor without being too heavy.
Now, I’m going to let you in on the secret ingredient in this pizza.
Brown Sugared Bacon and Caramelized Onion Pizza // Becky's Happy Table
Craisins.
I don’t tell people that the craisins are on there until they’ve told me how delicious the pizza is!  I put them on the pizza before the cheese.  They really add that little extra something!
There are about 1 million (actually 2.39 million) directions for how to make caramelized onions out there.  I think this is a good one.  If you need a little direction, check there!  And, yes, I always deglaze the pan with balsamic vinegar.  Soooooo delicious!
But, I will give you some excellent directions on how to make brown sugared bacon.  I can’t think of anything more delicious than brown sugared bacon!
First off, using kitchen scissors, cut one pound of bacon into 1/2-3/4 inch pieces.  Put it into a skillet over medium heat.
When your bacon starts to look like this…
Brown Sugared Bacon and Caramelized Onion Pizza // Becky's Happy Table
use a baster or spoon to get out the excess bacon grease.
Sprinkle with brown sugar.  Like this…
Brown Sugared Bacon and Caramelized Onion Pizza // Becky's Happy Table
Continue to stir and add more brown sugar as needed until it looks like this:
Brown Sugared Bacon and Caramelized Onion Pizza // Becky's Happy Table
Usually I drain bacon on paper towels but not with brown sugared bacon, because it sticks to paper towel.  It works well to use a slotted spoon to remove the brown sugared bacon from the pan and just put it on a plate.
When you are ready to top your pizza dough, get all of your ingredients together:
Brown Sugared Bacon and Caramelized Onion Pizza // Becky's Happy Table
I use 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella.  Do us all a favor and shred it yourself…it’ll melt better.
You’ll see, too, that I don’t use traditional pizza sauce.  I put a couple of tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a small bowl with 2 cloves of minced garlic.
Finely shredded parmesan really takes a pizza from really good to great!  Give it a try.  The hint of delicate salty, nutty goodness takes any pizza over the top!  I usually use about 1/3 cup.
There are 2 X’s in the above picture.  I used to add some fried jalapenos to this pizza until I realized that I couldn’t actually taste them.  Just leave them off…one less thing to do!
And, in case you were wondering, you can get all of the toppings for this pizza at Aldi!
Brown Sugared Bacon and Caramelized Onion Pizza
Author: 
Recipe type: Pizza
Prep time:  
Cook time:  
Total time:  
Serves: 4-6
 
A salty and sweet pizza with a twist! Just the way to special up your pizza Friday!
Ingredients
  • Dough for 1 pizza (see above for link)
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • ¼ cup craisins (or to taste)
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • ⅓ cup finely shredded parmesan cheese (or to taste)
  • brown sugared bacon (directions above)
  • caramelized onions (link above)
Instructions
  1. Place 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a small bowl with 2 cloves of minced garlic.
  2. Prepare dough for baking (follow the tutorial in the link above if you need help).
  3. Brush garlic infused olive oil on the crust.
  4. Sprinkle with craisins.
  5. Top with mozzarella cheese and then parmesan.
  6. Generously top with brown sugared bacon and caramelized onions.
  7. Bake at 475 degrees for 8-10 minutes.

If you don’t want to make your own crust, look for some dough at your local grocery store or even get the kind in a tube!  Remember to check out THIS tutorial to ease all of your dough fears :)
What’s your favorite way to top a pizza?

No comments:

Post a Comment